Top Tips for Time Management
Top Six Tips for Managing your Time Effectively:
1. Work smart, rather than working harder. The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. It is a common rule of thumb in business that in anything 20% is vital and 80% can be seen as trivial; e.g.
- In project management, 20% of the work (the first 10% and last 10%) takes up 80% of your time and resources
- In sales, 80% of your turnover will be created by 20% of your sales staff
- 20% of your staff will cause 80% of your problems but another 20% will provide 80% of your production
In order to manage your time to maximum efficiency, focus 80 percent of your time and energy on the 20 percent of the work that is the most important.
2. Are you procrastinating? Stop! - The essence of procrastination is when we put off a task that needs to be done for longer than we should, based on the deadline and the requirement for the work. Procrastinating eats into our time.
3. Prioritise your activities, including long and short term goals. Plan preparation and thinking time into your schedule for long term jobs.
4. Technology doesn’t always help - don’t be a slave to your emails! Set aside time to check emails. Allocate specific times of the day to check them. Consider turning off any ‘notification’ of incoming emails to stop you being distracted away from an important task to answer ‘a quick email’.
5. Set ‘quiet’ times where you work without interruptions - turn the answer phone on and take no calls until you have completed the task you have set yourself.
6. For those people who have demands placed on them by others then time management can often entail a great deal of diplomacy. Time management is about conditioning your environment, rather than allowing your environment to condition you. Print off your weekly schedule so you can diplomatically explain your time scales. Plan in unallocated time slots for unplanned tasks.
Podium offers a variety of one-day courses and 2 hour workshops which cover the following time management topics:
- Effective Delegation
- Managing Interruptions and Saying ‘No’
- Effective Prioritisation and Planning
- Goal Setting
- Tackling Procrastination